Old 09-18-20, 02:45 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 3,873 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
That thru-axle incident was a freak occurrence, seems that there was an object stuck between tire and frame, jammed up the axle so it couldn't slide out.

But for sure never could have happened with a QR axle!
All the wheel changes I've seen with disc-equipped bikes have been slow. This must be a matter of the sponsors pushing the disc brakes, because I can't imagine the disc brakes offering enough of an advantage to justify the problems they introduce. Somebody like Alaphilippe might be able to push the limits enough to get an extra few seconds on a descent, but the guys with rim brakes don't appear to have had a problem keeping pace with everyone else. I remember GCN doing a piece on disc brakes and I think they found that you could descend noticeably faster, but I'm pretty sure that's only true if you're on your own. In a pack I would expect the late braking to be nullified by the need do more or less what everyone else is doing, especially if some of the other riders are using rim brakes. I can't brake any later than the guy in front of me does.