Old 06-24-18, 12:23 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Where to Find the Elusive 1 x 9 Commuter Crankset?

I just bought another version of a bike I already own due to the frame geometry. This one is set to be my "power shopper" / errand bike as it's simply perfect for riding around locally in the flats. It's got front and rear rack mounts, fender mounts, and a square taper 1 x 9 (38 x 11-34) drivetrain! I did a test ride and the gearing is spot on for the tasks at hand, including some off-road automobile dodging. HOWEVER, the cranks are 172.5mm and I can immediately feel the difference in efficiency as I use 175s on all my bikes.

I have not been able to locate a 175 crankset with similar specs. I feel as if this crankset is a rare configuration without an adequate substitute. BMX is too short, fixie cogs are too big, and the 110BCDs can't accommodate a single 38 without complications or looking odd.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks as always for your informed replies!