View Single Post
Old 07-26-08, 07:58 PM
cycle2work

Bikes: 1994 Trek Multitrak 720, 2005 Cannondale Road Tandem RT2000, 2007 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my first recumbent, an LWB RANS Stratus LE, this spring. I've put approximately 800 miles on it so far, including several 65+ mile rides, one century, and a four day solo camping trip.

It is by far my bike of choice for longer rides.

The one issue I have with it is that it is hard to keep in a straight line when your speed drops to around 5 mph or less. If you're climbing major hills/mountains with a bike fully loaded with touring panniers, your speed WILL drop to 5 mph or less! On an upright touring bike, I know from experience I can crank up a hill at that speed and pretty much keep the bike on a straight line. With the LWB, I can only keep it within say a three to four foot range of pavement, zig-zagging back and forth. This is a known issue with recumbents - instability at low speed - that will impact your pleasure if you have lots of hill climbing on your planned tours.

Doing a gentle zig-zag up a steep climb at 4-1/2 mph is fun on some back country roads, but it sucks when you've got a stream of traffic buzzing by your elbow at 60 mph.

I'm very happy with my RANS Stratus, and plan to take it out a 65 mile spin tomorrow. I'm not 100% sure I would take it on my next camping tour, though. The bike is extremely comfortable, but an unstable slow speed climber.