Old 11-02-18, 09:26 PM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
He was looking for a complete crankset so he could have rings with a different tooth count. Not necessarily because of a real functional difference between 10 or 11 speed, but because all he could find was only 11 speed and wanted to know about crankset compatability with his current drivetrain.

The answer is: "Yes, an 11 speed crankset will work, but rings of what ever tooth count he wants are all he really needs and will be cheaper." I think the only real hang up would be if he needed a different BCD to accomodate his new gear choice. In that case a whole 10/11 speed crankset with rings of choice as a package deal would be a good way to go.

Asking what the BCD of his current crankset would determine the best way to proceed. OP: What is the Bolt Circle Diameter of your current SRAM crankset?

Exactly!

Sorry - I didn't express my question very well.

My current crankset with 53/39 rings has a 130 BCD. I want a mid-compact crankset with 52/36 to make climbing some local short but very steep climbs more manageable when combined with longer rides. The mid-compact cranks all have 110 BCD so simply changing rings won't work. Plus, the only mid-compact cranks I can find are meant for 11 speed drivetrains.

Thanks for the replies so far.