View Single Post
Old 08-12-18, 05:05 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
My 7.6FX's factory-installed Wellgo bear trap pedals didn't come with toe clips and straps. When I bought the bike, I picked up with it these VP pedals with straps built in:

Problem is, even with the straps and toe clips, they were crap for holding my feet straight. The originals, on the other hand, are great for keeping my feet in place, but not all that great on the upstroke.

Thing is, being broke and all, I couldn't spend money I haven't got to order straps online, nor were aftermarket toe clips available for me to buy at any of the local shops. I had a second pair of the same VP pedals lying around in a drawer, the spindle of one of which was bent and wobbly, so I decided to see if I could cannibalize them for the toe clips and find a way to bolt them to the Wellgos somehow. It turned out well enough.

I started with unscrewing the toe clips from the VPs:

Then pried out the reflector at the base of the toe clip:

Now, there were three nuts molded into the resin of the toe clip, so I had to cut these out so as to use two of them later to bolt the toe clip to the cage of the Wellgo (see next post):

Now on to cutting off all the excess resin:

(Continued below.)

Last edited by sjanzeir; 08-16-18 at 01:56 PM.