Thread: Disks not ready
View Single Post
Old 02-10-21, 05:40 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Froome is well within his rights to nitpick his setup, but let's be real, he spent the off-season in SoCal (hardly challenging weather conditions) and hasn't ever raced on disc brakes.

How about Matteo Jorgenson, who has fewer TdF victories than Froome, but has at least raced on and even had his leg sliced by discs?

"I didn't see much problem with rim brakes, I thought they were very good," Jorgensen explained.

"But last January I switched to a new bike with discs, and I was shocked at how much of a difference it makes. In a bike race, there's so much to be gained by being able to brake later.

"Disc brakes are very consistent, so when you pull the brake at first, it grabs just as much as 10 seconds later. Whereas with a rim brake, especially in the rain, you pull it and it starts to heat up, and then you get either less or sometimes it grabs more depending on the pad type. It's very inconsistent, you have to kind of think through it while you're braking. If you're braking quite hard into a corner, you have to try and anticipate how much more you can brake.

"I'd definitely be at a disadvantage [to return to rim brakes]. I notice it in a race where guys have to start braking earlier because they have rim brakes and they can't slow down as fast and I can come round them."
Likes For surak: