Thread: Die SRAM
View Single Post
Old 02-16-21, 12:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
For everyone that says it was great and they loved the product: yes it was a proven product that was stable and performed extremely well....but all of you stopped buying it. It is now gone. Things change. *shrug*
Well, I feel stupid. I just went to the bike room & counted 11 Powertap wheel sets, 2 sets of P1 pedals for/from a tandem, 1 trainer wheel for a dumb trainer, & a C1 kickin' around in a drawer. What more can be done? My only 2 non-Powertap touring/utility cycling bikes have Rohloff hubs & for obvious reasons those have Quarq DZero's.

Sad.

Sram could've done a lot. They could've bundled Zipp's in house. They could've made/licensed an SPD pedal version. They had the power to offer OEM bike or groupset options or custom in house build options, or different spoke hole drilling options to capture the wide variety of non-race or off-road or clyde applications a hub may be used in.

There is little choice but to believe SRAM just let Powertap as a brand flounder in attrition & obsolescence for the IP & to favor their own in house brands with the exceedingly high price point that I can only guess has a corrospondingly high margin.

Sram really has worked hard to un-earn my business.

Just for spite: Gevenalle for shifters. Fox for shocks. AbsoluteBlack for rings. Sunrace &/or Edco for cassettes depending on application. KMC for chains. Hope/I9/Phil for premium hubs. Sturmey Archer or Rohloff instead of Sachs, Son/Shutter Precision for dynamo hubs. Enve or Vision for high dollar carbon rims. Rotor/4iiii/Pioneer/Stages/SRM for power, Box derailleurs, Novatec for replacement freehubs...etc, etc, etc...All of which I gladly own over SRAM empire garbage.

Honestly, there isn't anything In the SRAM empire that can't be got elsewhere for an equal or cheaper price & be just as good if not a better product...& if you'll notice, I didn't even mention a Shimano product once.

Maybe SRAM needs to do some research & find out who their core retailcustomer is & what their brand reputation is. As for me? I think their products are disappointing disposable garbage & their business practices dishonest.

Last edited by base2; 02-16-21 at 12:58 AM.