View Single Post
Old 08-06-19, 05:59 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Bugs are minimal. Of course some of the mosquitoes can carry some nasty things, so a bit paranoid even seeing a few. Two night the hotel rooms had mosquito nets, two others I used my own mosquito net and at least two others I put some DEET.

We're on the tail end of rainy season. Around four big downpours in the week, though none while riding. Light sprinkles several additional times. This trip I brought an umbrella and glad I did.

Overall reasonable roads with few outliers e.g. 15km of cobblestones, ~3 construction zones and some stretches of rougher road. However on average, not much worse than what I find around Austin. Not much shoulders, but then also lighter traffic. We timed things to leave Georgetown on a Sunday and enter Paramaribo on a Sunday as well.

p.s. Not on the bike, but we took a side bus trip to Cayenne, French Guyana today and happened to see a Ariane 5 rocket launch that put two satellites in orbit.
now thats cool. I may have mentioned this to you already, but one of my neatest childhood memories is of visiting the hanger with the awaiting Apollo 17 Saturn V in it, looking up and up and uuuuuuuup at it. Have never seen a launch, so that must have been special. Safe travels back.