View Single Post
Old 03-22-20, 06:56 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 820 Posts
I started to rebuild my challenge bike this afternoon, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport DBX. I already had it completely torn it down before the challenge was proposed. I had been thinking of stripping it to bare metal and doing a DIY spray job on it, or selling it. I put those options on hold. As stated in my earlier post for clarification on the Challenge rules, I do have to change the cables and the headset bearings, but I already had those on hand. The headset still has issues with new bearings, I know one of the seals was shot and I do not have a replacement. Also the cups are not in all that good of condition. I have it re-installed on the bike, but the steering is just ok, a bit stiff. If I reduce the pre-load any I get play between the steerer and the headtube. I think it will be ok to get in the 50 mile, multi-surface ride.

Teardown process

Totally down to bare frame and fork

The components

Rebuild process as of this afternoon. Should be ready to go tomorrow. Total washout day called for with heavy rain and wind.
Likes For delbiker1: