Old 10-13-19, 07:45 AM
dc2042

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
1. Welcome!
2. What kind of distances are you looking at riding? 20 miles at a time? 50? 100mi (centuries)? Longer rides = higher need for a comfortable frame and geometry.
3. Do you know how much elevation the routes you plan on riding have? This determines if light weight is more important or aero.
4. Do you ever plan on racing? Conversely, would you more likely consider touring - putting racks on the bike and going out for long distances over multiple days? Splits out the broadest categories of "road bikes" into different segments
5. Do you plan on sticking strictly to pavement, or would hardpack dirt, gravel, or light singletrack be up your alley with this bike? Same as above
6. How much inclement weather riding do you plan on? Could determine if disc brakes and fenders are desirable or not.

Someone who wants a snappy race bike and never plans on riding more than 30-50 mi at a time could be well matched with a stiff aluminium frame and low race geometry, others might be better suited with more upright and compliant carbon bike. At the other end of the spectrum, there are bikes that are built tougher, with multiple rack mounts that are designed to go cross country.
Great questions, thank you. Here are the answers...

1. you are exactly correct, starting off with 20-miles, then working my way up to centuries.
2. I live in South Orange County, CA, and it is quite "hilly" so I will be experiencing good EG (elevation gain). I could easily experience 1000-2000 EG over 30-40 miles.
3. Racing is unlikely at this point, touring is definitely likely given I like backpacking and have a lot of lightweight gear .
4. I'd prefer to stick to pavement mostly, and would like a bike made for that. When selecting a bike that can handle hard-packed dirt, does this typically add weight? That is a concern
5. In So Cal, we rarely get rain any more, so inclement weather not an issue.

Thanks again, I do appreciate your responses and help!