Old 10-05-18, 09:36 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I suppose if people are super paranoid about pulling out, they could go back to the first clipless pedals ever made (Cinelli?) that required you to be screwed into the pedal. Part of the reason for pulling out isn't just about power: I think some riders just have a starting pedaling action that tends to clip out more easily than others. Historically, I think many find riders find Shimano pedals SPD SL and SPD R to be more secure -- it's not just the spring tension but something about the cleat design and how it interfaces with the pedal that makes it more difficult to accidentally unclip. Add in a Hoy type retention system as shown in Carleton's pic and you've got a really good system for standing starts. The Modern Look system seems similar to Shimano, but it just doesn't work as well for standing starts.

I think any first year track rider learns that pulling out on a pedal isn't a legitimate mishap -- it's considered within the category of "rider error equipment malfunction". Pretty similar to dropping a chain in a criterium or rolling a tire. Now I've seen riders finagle a free lap by claiming, "I struck a pedal and the tire rolled when the bike came back down..." but that's pushing the envelope of the definition of an equipment malfunction.