View Single Post
Old 10-15-19, 07:37 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I use a cheap chainwhip that came with an old tool set I got from Nashbar when building my first bike (2004-ish). For bottom bracket tools and just about anything else that's bike-specific, you can't really go wrong with anything from Park Tools. I've bought one dud (for an obsolete ISIS bottom bracket) but other than that, everything else works quite well. I tend to just buy what I need when I need it as there is too much overlap in their bigger sets with tools I already own for automotive work (which I'm sure are nicer than what they include).

For headset and press-fit bottom brackets, I use my automotive wheel bearing set to press the cups in. You can get away with threaded rod, matching nuts, and some sockets/washers for a cheap kit. The forces are fairly low (relative to big front wheel drive bearings). Park Tool's headset cup remover works nicely for disassembly, though I know people have made their own version of that tool.

For cables, a rotary tool with cutoff wheels is my choice for trimming housing. I have a pair of Knipex diagonal cutters for trimming cables. They cut clean without distorting the twisted cable.

You'll want a good hacksaw and a steerer tube cutting guide if you plan to trim the innicycle conversion.