View Single Post
Old 05-15-20, 05:27 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
So far... This is more a comment on the various apps than the sensors. The sensors seem to work. The speed sensor is easy to install on or remove from a traditional hub. The cadence sensor wants to be installed on a crank arm, pedal, or shoe. It comes with three attachment possibilities, either a sticky pad, a soft holder for zip ties (included), or a plastic holder through which you can run a strap. I want to be able to move it between bikes so only the last option would work. I found an elastic strap with Velcro which works nicely to hold the sensor on the inside of the non-DS crank arm. Straight out of the box one of them (I forget which) showed only 47% battery life but it appears to take a button battery which should be replaceable.

The Wahoo app picks up the sensors and shows cadence, speed, and a few other numbers on a static display.

The Rouvy Workouts app identifies both sensors but works only with the cadence sensor. If I pair with both the app doesn't work.. The visuals are lovely. Numbers like speed onscreen are a bit hard to read but I haven't tried it under ideal conditions yet. I tried it on my Android phone and my Windows 10 computer. Same result.

The Rouvy AR app won't pair to a speed sensor, says "Coming soon". The cadence sensor would pair and report cadence for a few seconds, then show zero, then show cadence, then show zero. The app seemed to think the sensor wasn't working because it just wouldn't run. In other words, that's a no-go for the app. I tried it on my Android phone and my Windows 10 computer. Same result.

The Zwift app let me pair to either sensor or both, but it works only with the speed sensor. It reads data from only one, and if I let that be the cadence sensor the app thinks I'm not moving. Otherwise it works great. Lots of feedback, easy to read numbers (mostly). The visuals are computer-generate, look like cartoon features but are real enough. The sheer number of other cyclists, especially those who passed me, are an incentive to pedal harder. So the psychological effect is real, so far. My sweetie asked me to put her solo bike on the trainer and she pedaled hard for 30 minutes, mostly focused on the power number.

I may end up keeping the speed sensor on her bike and the cadence sensor on mine, just for convenience. So far it has been a successful experience.