Old 12-05-20, 05:38 PM
John_E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok today I did more measurements on a cold chain. This time I also used a ruler just in case.

It is the same story, I am measuring even less wear with digital caliper which can be explained by the colder weather. However the chain tool still drops in to %0.5. With a ruler on 12" it still measures much less than 1/16". To make sure I remeasured several times and each measurement gave similar results.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I ended up getting the Park CC 4 chain checker because I had a discount at Nashbar and ended up getting it for like $7.00. I find it accurate enough for me. I had been measuring with a 12” steel ruler, which is just fine. But, as mentioned in one of the posts above...for real accuracy the chain needs to have some tension. And I suppose the rear derailleur puts enough tension on the chain to measure the bottom of the chain (coming off the chain wheel and going to the rear). But I always felt kinda like I wasn’t holding the ruler precisely in the right spot. The Park CC 4 checker has a little area that, after you hook it into the link, you pinch the chain to the tool to provide the tension required. The end where the reading is taken has two notches on it. If the prong doesn’t fall into the link at all, the chain is 0-49% worn. If it falls to the first notch it’s 50-74% worn. If it falls completely through the link it is worn 75% or greater.

Dan
Park tool cc-4 works the same way Pedro's cc and Shimano's chain checkers.
How are your results compared to the ruler?