Old 11-02-19, 04:26 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
UPDATE: This morning, I decided to do an amateur forensic examination of the accident scene. I'm going to accept at least some of the blame on this one. It appears the thru axle had backed out a bit before failing. Although I torqued it to the proper value when I mounted the bike to the trainer (20 days / 10 trainer rides ago), I hadn't checked it since. Since it backed out, I'm pretty sure that contributed to the failure. Check your thru axles regularly -- maybe every ride!

And I wonder . . . since I use a KICKR Climb . . . did the Climb's movement help back out the thru axle?

Check your thru axles!
I had my thru axle back out on my Madone going about 26mph on a century. Was about third wheel in a pack of at least 20. It completely locked the rear wheel as the chain locked up due to angle between derailleur and cassette. I just slid to a stop. Luckily I didn't go down and no one hit me. I had a bit of warning, but didn't put 2 and 2 together. Shifting was getting worse and worse. I guess as it slowly backed out.

I learned a lesson to always check the positioning of the thru axle. I don't physically touch it. I just look to make sure it's rotated in the same position.