Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Sure, and back in the day, if the power went out in the dentist's office, it didn't matter, because with no X-rays and no electric drills, the guy would just keep pounding away at your tooth with a hammer and chisel.
When I go to the dentist, I don't let them take X-rays. If it can't be seen by the human eye...it doesn't need to be messed with. (Ya gotta shop around to find a dentist who will accommodate this). As a result, I, unlike most guys my age whom I know, have no dental problems, nor a mouth patched up with drilled holes and fillings in teeth which were perfectly good. And I only go to the dentist on average of once per decade.

My cat got sick last week. Took him to the vet. The vet took a quick look...felt around with his hand, and figured out what the problem was in c. 2 minutes. If that had been a human doctor, they would have ordered all kinds of CAT scans and X-rays and blood tests....but the vet still does it the old-fashioned way, like human doctors used to, and it works just as well, if not better- and it's a LOT cheaper. (My 92 year-old mother often remarks how healthcare was so much better in the 1930's and 40's than it is today, when doctors knew their stuff and relied on their senses, rather than technology.)

And all the technology in the world does not make up for doctors no lonfer making housecalls or being there whenever you needed them- as opposed to telling you to just go to the ER if it's after office hours, or if they are out globe-trotting, going to conferences and speaking engagements, etc. which seem to occupy about 50% of their time today.