Old 01-20-20, 11:53 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I did the exact same thing. $9 crockpot from Walmart, 2lbs if paraffin off eBay, and 100grams of PTFE off eBay. I have been waiting in the PTFE a little over a month now. I got impatient and did a straight up paraffin wax job with no additives. Figured the PTFE would arrive soon and I would just re-wax when it arrives. Did my first ride yesterday in wet conditions and I will never go back to wet lube. Shifts like butter and no black grease at all after the ride. I had a little wax on the cassette but a stiff bristled brush took care of that. I can only imagine how nice it will be when the PTFE arrives.
I finally got around to waxing each of my bike's chains this weekend. It won't be until later this spring until I can get out on a ride and test it out due to an unexpected medical condition.

I'm wondering if the PTFE is necessary. After digging around on a few other threads, it seems that it doesn't add too much of a performance gain. Also, the PTFE seems to be heavier than the paraffin and pools at the bottom of the crock pot. I started off mixing the solution with the chain as it was soaking so that it would get as much PTFE into suspension as possible, but I left the chain to sit for about 10 minutes on its own. All of the PTFE settled on the chain plates but that's not where it's needed. Hopefully some worked its way in to the internals as I was mixing it although I guess I'll never know.