View Single Post
Old 03-03-20, 10:27 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My analog bike converts in 10 seconds to my e-bike, so I guess the question for me is when do I do that? I'll pop the motor/battery on if I am planning a very long ride (2 hours+), or heavy headwinds are projected, or there are big hills in my ride - that is for recreational/pleasure rides. I ride with the system paused on flats unless winds are bad or there's big hills. Since my bike is also my car, I also pop the motor on if I am running errands under time constraints, and when using my trailer for big Costco loads. But I ride analog if the ride is under 90 minutes and for recreation/exercise. The nice thing about my system is it weighs 4.5lbs so I can have it on the bike turned OFF, with absolutely zero drag (friction drive off the tire), and challenge myself as much as I want, all the time knowing I have a fail-safe if and when I need it. A good example of that was one day when I was out riding analog and enjoying the weather; I got a call on my cell about a family emergency and needed to get home FAST! I was able to turn on the motor and reduce the ride home by 20 minutes, where every minute counted. I love the flexibility because it means there are no excuses ever for not taking my bike and reconsidering having a car.

Last edited by linberl; 03-03-20 at 10:30 AM.