WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Bang for the buck wise, I find it hard to beat chainsaw oil dilluted with diesel.
Bar oil and diesel may be cheap, but how much oil does one use? I mean if one rides 40 miles/day and lube every month, how many bottles of ANY lube does one use? It seems to me that we're talking a difference of hundredths of cents per mile. This reminds me of the old home economics classes talking about how many pennies per drop dish soap costs. Squash that! Use the soap that works best, use less, and even if it costs more, it's pennies per month.

I'd suggest that cost is not the best metric. Its the 6th best metric in my view. IMHO the best metric is a mix of the following:

The chain lube should
1) lubricate the chain for good riding, smooth shifting, and good chain life (good performance)
2) be persistent enough so that required chain lubrication frequency is low (lower maintenance effort, fewer applications for lower cost)
3) not attract and retain dirt and grime (ties in with both 1 and 2)
4) be easily cleaned off (when you do have to do maintenance, it should be easy)
5) not degrade (rules out stuff like olive oil, which appear in some lube comparisons)

Cost of lubricant is probably the last metric I use. Any petroleum-based oil, including bar oil cut with diesel, is going to attract dirt, too.

I'm using DuPont ChainSaver lubricant and cleaner right now. I have some Rock and Roll lube. Not sure if I like one better than the other. They both work. I will say this, though: Rock and Roll does lubricate old slide rules pretty well.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 02-11-19 at 08:24 AM.