Old 07-13-19, 09:02 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Non sequitur, its not about not liking e-bike. People can ride barges for all I care. My concern is having the on the bike paths. Its about having them categorized the same as standard bicycles and encroaching on the tradition bike paths.

The video explains it all. This is the type of of clueless, non-experienced rider I'm talking about most afraid of swarming the bike path. It one thins to be new to cycling, but its something totally different to be clueless with 200-600 watts of force under you.
If being clueless was a reason to keep people off bike paths, no one would be allowed to ride. Please, tell me how much force is there when my son rides at 24mph unassisted? Is it more than someone on a 20mph limited ebike? What about a 300 lb guy on a 45 lb hybrid going 20mph? If I'm walking my dog and any one of those hits me, the effect is pretty much going to be the same, not good. As to "swarming" the bike path....how many is a "swarm"? As many as are in the giant roadie groups I encounter every day that take up the entire path and make it impossible for anyone else to ride? That kind of "swarm"? E-bikes are no more inherently dangerous than regular bikes or were you planning on lobbying for limits on regular bikes so they can't go faster than 15 mph? Frankly, I would take an inexperience e-bike rider capped at 15 or 20mph over some show-off wannabe flying down the path at 20+mph, hands free, pumping out loud music and reading his texts.