Old 08-23-19, 05:07 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Oddly enough I recalled what had been traditionally used for reliably carrying loads for motorcycles and bicycles, looked into what improvements had been made in design and materials since.

Reviewed those that were recommended by experienced long distance users and made choices based on my requirements, aesthetics and budget.

Easy enough, and leaving little doubt that what was selected would serve well. I has/does on the LD motorcycle and bicycles.

-Bandera

To obtain kitty litter containers?

Is this one of those looking your nose down at someone kind of thing? I am not the smartest crayon in the box, and can misread things. I really don't see the logic or fallacy in what any of your comments have to do with how to find kitty litter containers for someone that actually might need them, posting about them, or want to try them out for "whatever" reason that may be.

Further, I think my post is helpful to anyone that may read it, wants to try and explore for whatever reason, and rather than spend time taking all the exhausting steps that you so kindly pointed out might not of been needed, I was pointing it out so they don't waste their time doing what I was doing. You are aware that this site is indexed and pulled up usually as first content on bike related issues correct? So when someone is googling later to see how to do it, especially with me providing the link now, this will eventually come up with that indexing for folks looking at how to do it.

Do you want to add any useful content in how they can speed up that process since there is a good chance they will be reading your thoughts on such a thing now? I don't really get where you are going or what it is you are trying to communicate in this situation other than opinion or possibly looking down on someone. Can you clearly communicate what it is you are trying to say? Because I am just not following you without making assumptions, and I don't want to wrongly do that if that is not the case.

I apologize that I am poor, don't have enough money to buy nice motorcycles and panniers, live in the hood, and have to ride around on kitty litter pans to pick up my groceries. Does that make you feel better in some way?

Because to be honest, I really wouldn't use my Ortlieb Bikepacker bags to pick up groceries, especially in my neighborhood, and I wouldn't want to take a chance at tearing them with the amount of crap I put in them from the grocery store. Not to mention that the kitty litter pans are pretty sweet to load up groceries and carry up and down stairs in versus panniers, and much easier to load and unload than Ortliebs also.

As for my motorcycle and panniers, I had to get rid of my bike when I tore the bicep off my arm doing disaster relief work during Hurricane Harvey. I couldn't ride for at least six months, and when you are as poor as I am, a motorcycle sitting there for six months at least unusable is not the smartest decision in the world, especially when I donated most of the money I had in my own pocket towards the hurricane relief efforts and getting supplies down there. I will be lucky if I get to see another motorcycle again in my life, and to be honest, after the injury and how stupid other people really are towards bikers, I would be happier with a pickup truck I can throw my bicycle in an conquer all those places you can't get to on a motorcycle anyway. I miss my bike a lot, but it was a lot of work and headaches to own the bike to not really get out of it what I was hoping for. All the gear all the time is a lot of work. Not to mention, I have a bicep sitting up by my shoulder instead of were it should be for the rest of my life because I tried picking up a motorcycle the wrong way. I have enough motorcycle experience now to ride one of those cheap bikes in 3rd world countries and that's about all I need anymore.

At the same token, that down time caused me to go deeper into cycling, mechanics of cycling, and I am just finishing up my own version of a pretty sweet touring bike, so I guess some serendipity came out of it because during all that down time, all those cycling mechanical videos became fruitful.

The rest is just pride anyway for me. I was always worried about crashing on my motorcycle in one way or another and starting at 50 learning how to ride has it's disadvantages. You can't really transfer the skill set from biking to motorcycle like I thought would come naturally to me. If I got seriously hurt picking up a motorcycle off the floor, with my attitude about things at times, I will get myself killed on a fun or good bike eventually. Besides, I actually can't stand having to give the "peace" sign to everyone you ride past on a motorcycle and all the etiquette around that. It's cool for the first few days, but it gets obnoxious after a while and can even take the fun out of it depending on how heavy motorcycle traffic can be. Then when you stop doing it, you feel like a heel to everyone else. It's like driving past someone in a car and waiving at them every time you see someone in a car. Not a fan unless you get to pass only one motorcyclist a day doing it. Even two is too many. That entire peace finger thing with each other out here in Colorado is obnoxious for how many bikers there are here. I also didn't like that just because I owned a motorcycle, suddenly I was "one of them" kind of thing. I wasn't and I didn't want to be. I just want to ride a motorcycle and be left alone, just like I do on my bicycle.

I also wouldn't put kitty litter containers on the side of a motorcycle, unless it was one of those third world kind of bikes or was convenient for my needs. Then it might look pretty cool.

I live in America though, but I live in one of the third world parts of America. So kitty litter pans will do just fine, thanks.

And, "way to go for thinking outside the box, being resourceful, and delivering on the objective." I would think for as smart as you are, you would value that more than the snubbing thing

Guess I am wrong though.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-23-19 at 05:26 PM.