Old 03-02-20, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
I did a lot of stuff when I was a young Dad....young being the key word, synonymous with "dumb". Now as a Grandpa with two seriously beautiful granddaughters under the age of three....I wouldn't put either of them on any of my bikes in any form or fashion. I'd kill myself if anything happened to them and I think the risk of even a fall over in a parking lot too is too great.
No offense to the OP...just my feelings.

Subjective assessments of risk are just that. I'm pretty sure the kind of riding I did with my kids when they were less than 3 was statistically far less likely to result in serious injury or death than driving at highway speeds with kids in the car seats.

If you look at statistics on the number of children being injured in trailers and bike seats, it's really a small number, and the injuries are mostly minor. The most severe, not surprisingly, involve cars. In that regard, it's pretty much the same as being a pedestrian.