Old 04-21-20, 09:35 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Fenlon Place Elevator. (Re)Built in 1893; claims to be the shortest, steepest railroad in the world. It is used to transport people (and their bikes, if you wish) up and down the steep river bluff of the Mighty Mississippi. Yes, it is as steep as it looks in the photos. I have never actually taken my bike up the elevator, usually opting to pedal up one of the steep nearby streets running parallel to the elevator. The cars counterbalance one another, with one moving up, while the othe travels down, splitting in the middle to avoid each other. I believe the cable cars are moved with an electric motor, as they dont require much effort to drive due to the counterbalanced design. There used to be a few of these in our town, with this being the only remaining example. It was supposed to open for the season on April 1, but unfortunately this has been delayed due to the current business restrictions in place.

Very cool. We used to have one at the Royal Gorge but it was burned during a forest fire in 2013. It was a very cool ride down to the bottom of the gorge (about 1200 feet).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!