Old 10-12-20, 11:30 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by sixty2strat
Still slowly reading through this thread, but interested to know what a track cyclists program look like that incorporates barbell compound lifting / powerlifting movements. I used to lift up until the end of late last year when I sustained a shoulder separation/ impingement in a bike crash. I have now recovered after about 11 months and am getting back into mainly deadlift and overhead press. I dont currently have access to a bench or squat rack during COVID lock downs.

Recovery wise, i would imagine it would be quite difficult to be squatting and DL heavy whilst maintaining a track cycling program. Any personal experience on what a program would look like?..
It's possible to lift heavy while still getting time in on the bike. But, as you suggest, you won't hit the same numbers in the gym.

A non-elite (people who don't race for a living) program might have a person lifting heavy M, W, F and bike work on Tu, Th, Sa with Sunday off for recovery.

An elite sprinter program would be similar (yet more complex) with the added components of morning and afternoon workouts. As in, lifting in the AM and bike work in the PM. It can get complex, but it's possible.

Add to both of those types of programs changes to account for microcycles (this day/week), mesocycles (this month) and macrocycles (this quarter), and it gets really complex. There's even a cycle of several years that builds up to the Olympics.

This is why finding a good coach is important, especially in the beginning. It's the most efficient use of your time. It's like when learning to play a musical instrument. Yes, you can figure it out on your own (many great musicians have). But, learning is a lot faster when you have a structured program and are learning from a good instructor.