View Single Post
Old 01-21-07, 05:28 AM
Michelangelo
Chocolate and nap

Bikes: Old Peugeot PX10, '1974 custom Gemini racing bike, custom Singer randonneuse (Levallois, France) and Randocycles mountain bike w/rear panniers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1977. My first and sole century (as you call them here, in miles;-)) was in spring 1977 in Palo Alto, Ca. I had my first racing bike, long converted for hauling luggage and carried all the way from France with the intent to resell it to the natives here. A US friend brought me into this venture, together with a japanese friend of ours who had never ridden a bicycle longer than 20 miles I guess. He was nicknamed "umasan" (horse) by his friends and he made it. I was quite amazed by the funny food served alongside centuries or running races in California. Most striking were these whitish sprouts calle "Soja" (or soy, can't remember) people were handpicking in a platic contained where these wormish things had been grown on artificial soil. I have never seen these things again. Of course, the century was wonderful on the little coastal hills between Palo Alto and the Ocean. Gorgeous. I had ridden before in France and still do, but that does not qualify for centuries. Note: I ultimately brought my bike back to France as I failed to receive the outrageously high quote I had expected from the natives ;-) and still have it here, repainted orange and equipped for easy dismantling for air transportation