View Single Post
Old 03-13-07, 08:33 PM
Dellphinus

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first century was a solo, and quite by accident, not design. I had been training all summer to dothe MS150 in Columbia, Mo. I was worried sickover it, had never ridden over 60 miles back to back days. I did the 150, without having to walk up any of the hills. Got back, and didn't have any desire to ride the bike for 3 weeks. Got up one saturday morning, and decided to do my 60 mile out and back I hd been using to prep for the 150. When I got to the turnaround point, I was on a MUP that lead another 20 or so miles to the Gateway Arch, so I kept going. Made it to the Arch, popped in to a Subway for a sammich and about a dozen cookies, and started back. Had no issues at all, but at my last stop (I had been taking a food break every hour) I just couldn't eat any more. The last 15 miles had a climb from the river bottom up the bluffs, followed by a 10 mile flat into a 10 mph headwind. There are several small hills after that- I bonked (kinda) on the first one. Took 15 minutes and ate a Cliffbar, and nursed it home. came in and the kids said "Boy, you were gone a long time, where'd you go?" It was about a week before they believed me. Averaged 15 mph, done several since, but that ride to the arch and back is still my fav.