Old 03-19-19, 07:47 AM
delaneyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Mostly it's us old cermudgeons appreciating the bikes of our youth. the C & the V refers to the posters, mostly.

The bikes you mention are rare, expensive, and not really in service anywhere to appreciate. We like what we have. Down-tube shifters and "noodle" steel is fun & that's the way we like it.

...of course if theres a way to retro-fit modern refinements to our trusty steeds, we appreciate that too.
Oh, I definitely fit into the classic and vintage age range. I started working at bike shops in 1964. and was a shop rat up until 1990. In the late 60’s I think my first object of desire would have been a Raleigh Pro, but then that passion moved to Bob Jackson’s when I saw a few of them. But then I actually got a blue Colnago Super in the early 70’s, only to sell it when I began racing for a Schwinn Team and was issued a road and Track Paramount. Road those into the early 80’s, went through a Cinelli, a Viner, and then got into mountain bike racing in 1984. I raced on a Bridgestone MB0 till it broke, then an MB1, a Fat Chance, and then a Ross Shaefer built Salsa, which I still have. I’ve also got my old track Paramount. But I can say that in all that time I never lusted after a Trek or the like, they were just utilitarian bikes to be used and abused, but not coveted.