RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
[Updated May 3, 2013]
First of all my age: I'm now 68 and in pretty decent shape for my age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
2001 Litespeed Tuscany road bike
2011 Felt Z4 road bike

I see WAY too many people, both older and younger than me, riding recumbents. Their reasoning is that a road bike would be too hard on their bodies (back pain, bumpy roads, too much weight on their hands and arms, etc.). Come on people, get a grip. Road bikes are FUN and great for exercise and fitness.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Vitamin A, multi B, B12, C, D, E, calcium and a few other herbal supplements. And because I have a heart problem (hereditary from my dad ) my cardiologist has me taking 40 mg simvastatin before bed, 81 mg aspirin, and 2000 mg of flush-free niacin (in the morning).

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
None, I've gotten stronger than my former 240 pound, outta shape self used to be.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I had a Schwinn LeTour from 1985-89. Rode about 75-100 miles a week on the flat roads of central Florida. Work schedule required that I give it up until 1999. I decided that my life and health were more important than any job. Now I ride 100-150 miles a week mostly on the Suncoast Trail in Florida.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Long rides and short rides. No more commuting now that I'm retired.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Three to four days a week, 25-45 miles each ride.
My best year was ~4500 miles.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Walking and some very limited weight training. My wife and I do yoga a couple of days a week.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 05-03-13 at 08:45 AM.