View Single Post
Old 03-25-24, 09:04 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 31 Posts
I like simple older setups for everything but racing. When i raced xc mtb I ran a 3x initially, then a 2x since the conversion was cheap and it was lighter(fell for marketing hype). In all cases I rode mostly in the 29-32 tooth front chainring and used all of my 11-34 cassette for most ascents when I wasn't bonked/blown up out of my mind. On the 26in bike dropping down to the 22 was perfect for long rides or when I did something stupid and had to ease it home.
On the flipside while riding to trailheads I almost universally appreciated the 3x/big ring (40+tooth).
That's why I like 3x/2x. It's perfect for multi-use. You can use the bike in multiple instances perfectly without buying a new cassette, or a new chainring.

I could do 1x for road since on my local bike trails going much over 20mph is hazardous, and open descents my 225lb mass is plenty fast.
I am half the age or younger then most posters here and can easily use a FD, it's literally a skill issue if you can't, or you are riding in serious mud, in which case maybe electric shifting or singlespeed may be better.