View Single Post
Old 09-09-18, 11:55 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to do my whole vacation starting and ending at my front door on my bicycle. No schedules to arrange. Most days I wake up and rank options on where I'll be that night. I reconsider things right before getting on the road. Then a final goal around lunch time. Some days that's a motel but other times I get a stretch of days with good camping opportunities going from one national forest/wma/etc. to another. I'm not beyond stealth camping under the right conditions but at least in my current financial condition I'd usually rather get a room or pay for a campsite. But I always have my eye out for "free" especially when that breaks no rules! For example Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sipsey_Wilderness allows "dispersed camping" which basically means camp anywhere you want except no closer than 50 feet to water. So I designed my route for a tour to mississippi so I'd go thru it and enjoyed a few nights of splendid beauty and not paying a dime. And unlike stealthing you don't need to be gone before dawn. Hang around and eat a good breakfast