View Single Post
Old 06-08-19, 11:54 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
You realize those two saddles are completely different designs, yes? I don’t know of any other saddle that works in the same way as the Anatomica. Sure, there are plenty of saddles with cut-outs and relief channels but the Anatomica has an exceptionally long cut-out to create independence between the sit bones.

The cut-out design of Berthoud as well as Brooks and pretty much every cut-out saddle is just to remove or reduce pressure on the soft tissues, not create independence of movement between the two sides. SQLabs has a styrofoam based saddle that’s supposed to provide some level of independence but without firsthand experience I don’t know if it delivers on the promise.

I would guess that if the SA is your grail saddle you’ll likely be uncomfortable on the Berthoud. The Berthoud saddles are beautiful, no doubt, but Jade408 suggestion to check out Rivet is sound. The founder/owner of Rivet was one of the principals of Selle Anatomica from the start, and after the unfortunate death of her partner she struck out on her own to form Rivet. She brought with her a tremendous amount of knowledge as a designer and manufacturer but also as a rider. Her ultra long distance riding informs her designs.

IMO, Rivet saddles are better designed and better built than SA. Although they share a similarly long cut-out, the two sides of the Rivet saddles are connected on the underside which eliminates flaring at the outer edges of the saddle but also ties both sides together, somewhat reducing the sensation of independence. One thing Rivet doesn’t do is... look like a Berthoud.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto: