View Single Post
Old 10-16-19, 10:57 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
1. think of this as a serious course of study that you didn't sign up for, but have to take. the only question you must keep asking your team is "how do I get an A in this class..?" docs, nurses, even the front desk person.
2. make sure you have the best medical care you can possibly get. just because someone helped you first does not mean that they are necessarily your first choice. it does matter.
3. Dr. Internet is not your friend. Just. Don't. Go. There. the internet is skewed and biased and the search algos will show you the worst of it.
4. your medical team should dictate your 'ancillary' activities. if they say exercise, do - if they say don't, then don't. your energy reserves may be needed for unseen battles in your system. when the fatigue comes, it hits really hard.
5. ask them about everything. MSK wouldn't let me drink green tea at the time. Seems latest research then showed that the benefits of green tea also benefited cancer cells. always ask.
6. chemo starts out "not so bad'. doesn't stay that way for most types. be ready.
7. start the conversation at work now, not later.
8. if you know any distant connection with direct experience with your type of cancer, get in touch now. they'll have suggestions and perspective you can't get elsewhere (you're either in the club, or you're not).
9. the chances of getting some type of cancer in one's lifetime is over 39% (ACS, retrieved Oct.2019). your number came up, don't think more about it. look forward, not backward.
10. just think... in 12 years, you'll be typing in some forum somewhere just like me, talking to someone just like you.
Likes For blacknbluebikes: