View Single Post
Old 11-06-08, 11:39 PM
ericgu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StevePGN10
Thanks to everyone for their help. I initially asked the question because my behind was uncomfortable after an hour or so and it felt good stopping to massage a little. I noticed that my heart rate would be much lower than Zone 2 when I got back in the saddle.

But I'm now quickly building up endurance and doing two hours straight is getting easier. Now my question is more along the lines of, "Do two one hour sessions equal one two hour session?" It is sometimes easier to find an hour in the morning and another in the evening to exercise than it is to find a two hour period. It sounds like it is equal, so I'll split the sessions on days when it is convenient.

About the diminishing returns thing after 50 minutes, as one responder said, I'm looking to lose weight so the calorie burn is worth the extra time for me. In a month and a half I've lost 20 lbs, and have 25 more to go. I'm doing the riding in Zone 2 based on information in books by Friel and Carmicheal, and from searching threads in this forum. I figure it is a good way to spend the winter. When February rolls around, I'll have to hit the books again and plan how to add some more intensive riding. I hope to weigh 185lbs by then. Later in the year, I intend to be able to pass my archrival-type buddy going uphill. Then I'll set my sights on outriding my twin brother.

By the way, I haven't encountered the misery of riding indoors yet. What with iPods, TV and radios, I keep myself amused during my two hour sessions. It's no match for road riding, but it is still time on a bike and I love the hell out of it.

Regards,
Steve
As long as you haven't really cooled down on a stop (say, less than 5 minutes), it should have little or no effect on how much training you get.

Longer rides have a bigger effect on weight loss, since you are burning a larger amount of fat which means your body will get better at fat burning. It's also more effective because you spend half the time warming up (ie only one warmup). But twice daily is okay as well.

On the longer ones, getting some calories while riding and immediately after (say, 200 cal/hour while riding and about the same afterwards) is important to moderate blood sugar (and therefore moderate hunger).

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com