Old 01-21-20, 01:59 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm still waiting for a generic baggie of PTFE too. Probably same sources you other folks ordered from, claimed to be 1.6 micron particles. But I knew there would be a delay to as late as February.

I had to clean my drivetrain over the weekend since I got impatient this month and instead of waiting for the crock pot to heat up, I just drizzled either White Lightning Easy Lube, Boeshield T9 or, most recently, Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry on the chain. By Friday it was a gunky mess, mostly due to the White Lightning Easy Lube -- it leaves snot wads in the cogs, rear derailleur pulleys, pretty much everything it touches. I had to remove the chain and scrub it with a brush, flossed the freewheel, and scraped gunk off the pulleys.

While doing that I let the crock pot heat up so I could dunk the chain after cleaning. After putting it back on the bike I got impatient again for the excess wax to loosen up and drizzled some Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry on the chain. That combo made for a very slick drivetrain. But same old post-ride problems -- gunky black chain. I suppose the only way to avoid that with paraffin/PTFE based solvent lubes is to wait for the chain to dry completely, or speed it up with a fan.

When the PTFE powder arrives I'll probably toss my old batch of wax since it's going on 3 years old and is blackened because I'm too lazy to clean the chains between dunks. I just wipe 'em down with paper towels. I'm curious to see how it goes with fresh wax and the PTFE, although I'm a bit doubtful about how well it can penetrate or stay in suspension. PTFE based wet lubes always demand a lot of vigorous agitation even after sitting for only a few minutes. That'll be difficult to do with a crock pot full of molten wax.
Try cleaning your chain by soaking it in fuel overnight, then in degreaser, then in methylated spirits (denatured alcohol). Seems like it's a good way to completely remove lubricants, oils and any other substances than metal that can be stuck in/on the chain.