Old 05-19-20, 04:19 AM
Marcolino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
I'm sized between Small and Medium frame sizing on Specialized Sirrus hybrid models, I sized both and bought the Small based exactly on the ride position / posture you describe . . . I'm 5 feet 6 inches, and weigh 145-150 lbs, I test-rode both sizes and found the Small to be better handling for me as a smaller rider. For FIT, I went with Small rather than Medium. My Specialized road bike is a 52cm frame and I love the way that fits me for road riding.

On the WRIST question . . . well, this Sirrus X model 4.0 which I just bought has the Specialized suspension stem / headset called Future Shock. It grants some minimal suspension and I'm glad to have it but it's NOT the same cushioning you should get from a suspension fork.
I rode yesterday on a 45km rocky / gnarly gravel ride and yes I could have benefitted from a suspension fork for my wrist, which is healing from a sprain incurred by recently crashing on my road bike.
My injury is minor and temporary, so I do not yet have long-term concerns about my wrist. However, if your wrist is always going to be at risk to riding stress, yes I would consider a suspension fork.

Canyon Pathlite was my alternate choice bike, it has a suspension fork but my sizing has not been available for several moths and the avail date per Canyon website keeps moving later and later, so I bought the Sirrus X.

Hi Jimmy, that's super helpful intel, thanks! I think I'm going to be a rather more recreational/infrequent rider than you (the odds of me doing a 45km rocky/gnarly gravel ride are as close to 0% as imaginable!). I guess I'll just have to see how I go, but I suspect i'll be fine. As others have said, the suspension fork might not be necessary, but if it gives me peace of mind, it'll worth it - I'm a great believe in the placebo effect :-)

I've narrowed it down to the Pinnacle Cobalt 2 and the Whyte Ridgeway. VERY similar specs. The Pinnacle will be pre-built, but 18-21 days, whereas the Whyte would need partial assembly but with quick delivery. Could be fun to learn how to build & maintain.