Old 07-03-20, 06:57 AM
DC_Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rebuilding or replacing an internally geared wheel - how big a job for a local shop?

Hi All:

I have a bike with an internally geared rear wheel with several broken spokes. I'm not comfortable riding again until I get this fixed. I believe the bike has a Weinmann ZAC-19 Doublewall rim with a Shimano Inter-3 internal hub (the bike is a KHS Manhattan Green cruiser). From what I've read, I believe my options are to (a) get an entirely new wheel (complicated by the internal hub) or (b) have the existing wheel rebuilt. In either case, I understand that there are some specialized operations involved (truing, etc.) and I plan to have a local shop handle all the work for me.

I wanted to get a sense of whether this is going to be routine/inexpensive or a major/expensive job for a local shop? The bike was a $250 pick up so I am not opposed to replacing it with a new one. The first shop I took my bike to said they didn't have the part needed to rebuild the wheel and didn't offer to buy a new wheel for me. With COVID, it's a pain to take my bike around from shop to shop, and shops seem too busy to talk on the phone, so I wanted to get some initial feedback here before venture out again?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DC_Cycle; 07-03-20 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Typo