View Single Post
Old 08-03-08, 11:00 AM
limeylew

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Shimano RSX brifter shifting problem

Originally Posted by kbblodorn
I have a road bike that I don't use anymore that has Shimano RSX brifters on it, from about 1998. I am thinking about steeling the drop handlebars from this bike, brifters and all, and putting them on my mountain bike that I use for commuting. Before I do that though, I want to determine if a problem I'm having with the RSX shifter is a simple maintenance issue, or a bigger problem. On the left shifter, the lever that clicks the gears from a larger ring to a smaller ring usually does not work. The lever moves but does not engage the mechanism to index the gear; it just moves freely. With just the right pressure on the larger brake lever and a little luck, the smaller lever will occassionally engage and shift the gear. If I go ahead with changing the handlebars, I'll have my LBS do that work. But before I cart the two bikes there and have them tear into it, I would just like to know if this is a simple fix.

Thanks!
I have fixed a dozen or more of these by squirting plenty of WD 40, or Silicone lube, through them.

The factory lube, plus accumulate road grime, seem to harden up after time and simply cleaning the mechanism has worked for every one that I have come across so far.

Hope this will help you.