View Single Post
Old 10-06-19, 03:55 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Actually that is an old concept. Trying to recall the brand or brands at the moment. From the 70's.
I recall Tufo also does this. I have not used them, the color of the sidewalls - kind of a red brick color just did not agree with my visual target.
I used Wolber Liberty tires for a while. They had the tube permanently sealed inside the casing. I think it was all vulcanized together. They supplied this injector thing which was a tube of goop with a hollow needle cap type thing. You were supposed to inject a blob of the glue into the puncture in the tire, and leave a plug inside. This would allegedly patch the tire. It didn't work very well. Never had one of those 'patches' last more than a ride or two, if that. I guess it was enough to get you home at least. I suspect the modern concept is much improved now that there are effective sealants.

I think @T-Mar mentioned a while ago that this type of tire goes way way back, like to the turn of the century or something, IIRC.