View Single Post
Old 01-18-10, 09:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by climbhigher
Thank you everyone for the feedback - it is very helpful. It sounds like the American Discovery Trail is a better option that I didn't know about. Has anyone biked that? I see where it says a number of sections are either too difficult for a bike or are closed to bikes (wilderness areas and such). Do these areas impact the ride much or add much distance to the already almost 5,000 mile trip?

Jim
There are ways around the wilderness areas. Most of them wouldn't add too much to the trip since the wilderness areas aren't really all that big. I would point out that the Discovery trail uses paved roads in many areas. Their route through eastern Colorado...both north and south...use paved road ways. However, when the route hits the mountains of Colorado, it gets mean. Looking at the route information on the ADT on-line, much of the Colorado mountain route would require a mountain bike and would be rather gnarly riding without a touring load. There are better routes to use but even those are probably going to be much better on a mountain bike than a touring bike. Most all of the routes that use a dirt road to get over our high mountains aren't all that smooth.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!