g.r.e.g.

Location: Saratoga Springs, NY summer, SLC, UT fall,winter,spring

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Six 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamabb
I thought it would be a cool idea for everyone to say what state they think is the best for cycling and why.

I gotta say New York (excluding the city, that place is horrid for cyclists, sorry NYCers)

In New York we got rolling hills with enough climbing to get your legs burning and heart pumping, but nothing that will require miles and miles of climbing. In the Hudson Valley where I live, we have beautiful reservoirs scattered throughout the area. Cars are cautious for the most part and leave at least 3 feet (with the occasional bad driver who wont)

We have plenty of bike paths in the state that go pretty far and many bike-friendly bridges and ferry's to get over the Hudson river. If you live up near buffalo, I hear they have an incredibly avid cycling community and Niagara falls.

also, most cyclists are friendly here, not to say they aren't elsewhere, but there are less "elitists" who won't even spare a wave or nod. (except in the city... which is odd because I don't know HOW you can train efficiently there)

So, anyone think another state is better for cycling?
I was just talking to my dad about this today. I live 15 minutes east of Saratoga and we have all the hills you can want while having mostly beautiful rolling countryside with NO cars on a lot of the back roads. Plus the course for the Tour of Battenkill is about 10 miles from me so not bad at all. Greg