View Single Post
Old 03-08-19, 10:31 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The load limit on the yak depends on your bicycle geometry. I hauled some groceries with my road bike one day and handling was difficult. Several times the load on the tandem was no problem. These were not long rides. If I was to tour with a one wheeled cart on a single bicycle I would use the
tout Terran or the Extrawheel.
Not sure what kind of groceries you hauled and not sure the geometry of the tow bike has much to do with the load limit of a third party trailer. Bob trailers are attached to the tow bike at the axle. All weight transfers at that point. It can be a very unique feeling the first few times pulling and testing the trailer to the limits and seeing what it has and what it takes to use and how it responds. Low weights in trailer are no big deal. Larger weights very much so. Higher weight loads can push the tow bikes axle right out of the dropouts which took me a few times to really get that. I always describe it that as heavy the trailer heavy cargo weight it will start telling you where it wants to go. The trailer is very good for smaller loads, single track, or riding on roads as to it's narrow width design allowing for much less competing for road space with vehicles. Off the top of my head I would say it's almost half the width of many 2 wheel trailers. I've had a burley flatbed over 20 years that I set up for my dog and it's hitch design allows for all kinds of different angles it can move all with out really effecting the handling of the tow bike aside from just pulling dead weight.

All trailers have their strengths and weaknesses. Single wheel trailers are just not good with heavy cargo loads.
That's my .02

Last edited by ocsawdust; 03-08-19 at 10:40 PM.