genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Fair point, I didn't mean to fully place the blame on the inanimate object, it's just that the cell phone is the medium employed to facilitate the widespread expression of human selfishness and stupidity, so it's the easy target (not unlike the gun control debate, come to think of it). But, as pointed out above, increased penalties will largely just force the user to make greater effort to not get caught. Getting a DUI/DWI is an absolute life wrecker, yet there are thousands of drunk drivers on the road, 24/7.
Given that we're dealing with just another full-blown addiction, I think the problem is here to stay. (I've found i can't turn my brother on to a cool movie, because he can't pull his nose away from his smart-phone screen long enough to actually watch it. I mean, he literally CAN NOT do it.)
Yes, it is amazing how some folks are so drawn to "shiny objects."

I remember early ethical debates we had about various features... GPS was a huge issue... seems that the real ethics issue belongs to the user that can't seem to put their phone down.

I actually was given odd foreshadowing on this, when back in the early 90s, I saw a man ignore his (apparent) child, while in the zoo, while giving full attention to his phone. Of course it could have been his wife explaining why she was leaving him.... I don't know... but was a wicked vision of the future.

I have to admit, I love having the internet in my hand. But... dicipline folks... there is a time and place for everything.
Likes For genec: