Thread: Swift folders
View Single Post
Old 07-25-19, 12:31 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by laffin_boy
Getting this Swift on the road has been a 6 mo odyssey but i'll spare you most of the gruesome details. The bike in the pics below began as a late version Xootr which is different, IMHO, from most folders in 3 important ways: (A) Peter got the geometry right. Unlike many poorly designed folders with insufficient trail the handling is neutral, confidence inspiring and yet still agile. (B) and it's affordable as a result of Peter's business decision and lack of "Prime Time" popularity. And, finally, (C) it's really heavy. The frame, fork, riser tube and seat tube is just a hair under 10 lbs!

When I got it (used) the complete bike weighted 25lbs. I managed to shed 4 of those lbs so it currently weights just under 21lbs. One of the way I did this was by having a CroMoly fork made for me that's lighter than the 2+ lb fork that came on the bike. And the curved riser / stem is also custom & ti. Seatpost is 31.8 rather than the stock 34mm (which saved almost 9 oz). This is a bike that i'm going to keep in my micro RV to use on trips so it seemed to be a perfect candidate to try out my 1st 1 x 11 drive train. And so far I love it! 11-42 cassette w/ a 52T chainring give me plenty of range for recreational riding. The tires are Tioga PowerBlock S-Spec OS-20 20X1.60 (451 x 41) which, so far, only measure 38mm and are only 260g! Highly recommended. Here's the pics:

Wow! What an interesting Swift build. I'd love to know more of "the gruesome details" behind it. What inspired you? I'm especially interested in your modifications to the rear drop-outs. As I always run a rear derailleur, my one and only minor quibble with my beloved Swift is I'd prefer different drop-outs. I can put up with horizontal ones, but I dislike having to re-adjust the brakes every time I remove the rear wheel.

Anyway, nice job!