View Single Post
Old 03-27-21, 04:00 PM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by nel e nel
Thanks, it's really been reliable. I took it maybe once a year just for a general chain/cable replacement, but other than that nothing, and it's held up well in East Coast weather year round. Not bad for a low-end $500 with bottom tier Shimano parts.

Regarding a road bike, I've never ridden steel to my knowledge, and everything I've read about it sounds really intriguing. Thankfully the pandemic hasn't hit us financially so I actually can spend on a decent build. I want to go to an LBS that carries steel bikes and test one out first though. I see you have several Kona's listed on your profile, I have Sutra and Rove on my potential frame list, any opinions on those?
I love Kona bikes in general but I've never seen those in person, the Kona importer here in Brazil shut it's doors in 2014 and there's no one else bringing Kona Bikes to the Country. I would love to own a Kona Sutra Ultd, looks amazing, but that's more mountain bike than road bike. My steel Kona Unit is an excellent bike, I've had people offer me more than twice of what I paid for it but I'm not selling it. In fact I'm in the process of getting a custom steel frame made locally to substitute the aluminum Kahuna because I just love riding steel. Modern steel bikes just don't show up here, the mountain bikers in Brazil all want carbon XC race bikes, even if they are never going to ride proper trails or race, it's a bit of wanting to flex expensive stuff and a bit of wanting to look like Henrique Avancini. Cannondale rules the market here, because of Henriques fame.