View Single Post
Old 06-21-20, 07:55 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclepost
I've been looking to get a fixie to use as a beater commuter. I've never ridden one before but am very curious to try it out since so many people say they love it. I'm just looking for a cheap thing that will get me from A to B and be mostly reliable. Also looking to ride in the winter in Ottawa, Canada so cold and snowy! I've been looking on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace. I saw a Critical Cycles fixie for $150 and a 6KU for $200. They're both gone now but just for future reference, are either of these decent bikes for what I'm looking to do? From my research Critical Cycles is not very reliable but 6KU is decent? Any tips or guidance is appreciated!
You might get more responses in the Single Speed/Fixed Gear forum. My suggestion is to find an older steel road bike and convert it. All you might need to add is a new rear wheel. Check out Sheldon Brown's website. He has a section relating to converting a road bike to fixed gear. I own a couple fixed gear bikes and while they're great, I love riding my converted bike a lot.
Likes For TugaDude: