View Single Post
Old 07-03-20, 09:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by bwmoeling
I think you should start with a great bike stand. And don't get an entry-level one with thoughts of upgrading: you'll want a good one, so if you buy the cheaper one that will just make the one you eventually buy that much more expensive. I had a low-end portable one for a while and then got a Park Tool stand; it was okay, not great. Then when I moved and I was responsible for more bikes, I went with the Feedback Sports Pro Elite, and got the tool tray and the wheel truing attachments. WORTH IT. I have long since forgotten the $300 I spent on it but am still totally benefiting from the premium stand.

On tools, too, you should always get the better tool when you're buying one. A cheap tool will always frustrate you.

You might start with the Park Tool PK-4 professional tool kit. Although I think you will have to buy the Park Tool Pizza Cutter separately.
I agree with this up until the buy a kit.

My reasons for not buying a kit is there are tools that I want which come in no kit or I may already have some of those tools or there may be something else. Park makes some decent higher end or super practical stuff and some fine entry level stuff but I would rather buy tools individually so I can get exactly what suits my needs (or wants). I wish I had got the Abbey Crombie instead of the Park tool copy which is super heavy and doesn't do well on some ScRAM (non-XD) cassettes I have. However I haven't used a better screwdriver than the Park DSD-2/4 and don't see a need for anything else. It is JIS (which is better than/compatible with Phillips ), really nice in the hand and Made in 'Merica.

A cheap tool will certainly frustrate you. I have bought plenty of stuff where I am like, damn I wish I had gotten something better. I think maybe I will use it once and a while and then I am using it frequently
Likes For veganbikes: