View Single Post
Old 08-22-15, 11:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
I'm glad you wrote all of that because it reminded me...the Tubus racks are Torx and I only have a screwdriver w/replaceable torx tips. I'll get plenty of torque using that to install the rack but I'll need to by an L shaped torx wrench that fits it to carry on the bike. I've already ran through the wife's bike a little and picked out the Allens we need to carry. I did have a bolt fall out of a rack before and I fixed it with one from the water bottle holder if I remember right. A few spare bolts would be a good idea.
I recommend blue Locktite on all rack bolts.

One of my Tubus racks came with Torx bolts, it arrived less than 24 hours before I left for a trip. I opened up the package and saw Torx bolts and said <insert obscenities here>, and I grabbed my box of regular M5 bolts to install the rack.

A friend of mine had a rack bolt fall out on the GAP/C&O, we used one of the spares I had threaded into my frame.