Thread: Shingles!!
View Single Post
Old 11-21-17, 10:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I got shingles before I was old enough for the vaccine (by three years). Got very lucky. And have advice to pass on. If you see the shingles rash - go to a doctor! Now! You have 72 hours to get the medication that will make the experience just miserable, not a visit to hell.

I saw my first symptoms dressing to ride home after work. Saw the band of spots around my chest. Had no idea what I was looking at but figured I'd go by Medical on the way out. (My first human contact most mornings was that nurse; I'd use their shower after my ride.) The nurse instantly diagnosed me with shingles and told me to make an appointment now! Drove straight to my doctor after work the next day. Same diagnosis. The prescription. And the order "fill this and take the first one before you go anywhere." The next two weeks were miserable. I went to work and did my best because I would have been just as miserable at home. Symptoms gradually lifted over the next 3 weeks.

The other story: My mom's mother and aunt. My mom's aunt had a botched surgery as a young woman that left her knee locked straight for the rest of her life. After that she didn't trust doctors. Got shingles but did not go for the medicine. Went through living hell; for many months. My grandmother later got shingles. Very aware of what her sister went through, she promptly saw the doctor and took the medicine. A few weeks of misery and it passed.

I have heard both stories a few times since. Get the medicine and get it fast!

Also be aware the major stresses can bring shingle on (assuming you had chickenpox sometime in your life). I had a very uncomfortable conversation behind closed doors with my boss 2 days before. I also had a pain running down my arm that I thought was a lingering muscle pull but turned out to be an infection of the lymph node in my armpit.

My anecdote as to what shingles is like - imagine a small town with an unusually large number of teenagers the same age (the virus). (The town is deep in your chest along the spine where the virus lies dormant for often decades.) THe teenagers all problem kids. Some one gives them a car. They jump in and drive to the coast. (The direct route to the coast is along a rib.) At every town, the kids get out, pull fire alarms, shoot guns, tip over trash barrels, jump back in the car and take off. (More spots and sometimes permanent damage.) The medicine? Phone calls down the road alerting towns these kids are coming. Police, fire and the town vigilantes are waiting. The kids still cause havoc, but it is far less and they do get caught.

Ben