Old 06-28-18, 02:36 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
Nice bike! I have to go on record that I wouldn't be a fan of the bullhorn TT bar. Standard drop bar with brifters gives so much more hand positions. Drawback is that the brifters would be more expensive and you wouldn't be using the left one to shift (no front derailleur). Which brings me to the second point. I know 1x9 might have a certain coolness factor, but I'd still prefer 2x9. Then you could get a tighter cassette with smaller tooth sizes between the cogs. Also the front derailleur braze-on doesn't look great without something on it. But maybe I'm becoming more of an old road biker curmudgeon. Anyway, its your bike so ride it like you stole it! And let us know if its true whether red goes faster or not...
I have real dropbars on 2 other bikes. On my lynskey rain commuter and my mtb 26er snow commuter.
I stocked up on 9sp shifters when the market shifted to 10sp. Usually i run them will pull ratio converters to take 8sp cassettes
that i build 6sp cassettes from. I may be alone but I think newer cassettes are to closely spaced. on the 6speeds everything is just perfect.

I went 1x around 10 years ago when i noticed i never use the big ring nor the small one. Also the exposed big ring tore up 3 of my favorite pants
so i made a chainguard out of it instead. i run a 40 or 42 on the snowplow and 42s on the bigwheels. in the beginning i ran a 36 or 38 but i simply wore out
the 11-12-13t too soon.

I kinda like the TT bars. Very good hand position. the up side down north roads are good too. But my favorite bar is nitto rm014 dirt drop. Its the best ergo
of all my bars. but the reach and drop on is pretty massive, and you can only run them in the drops due to their design. So to make them work you need lots of spacers, and a very short stem and i didn't want to put 10cm of spacers on the colnago. Its too pretty.

The vision bar is like riding on the hoods on regular drop bars but slightly better imo (better ergo of the levers and shifter, and the simple fact these are now completely different components so you can manipulate both at the same time). You give up the drops. But its a fair trade for me.
I have around 10 different bars at hand and the vision is up there with the best of them imo.

edit:
I'm not sure the red is faster than the other paint schemes but its a lot more classy than the other master ones.
And it looks much better in real life than all the pics I've seen on the web, including my own.
The decals though?? Well they could have done a better job to be honest. and preferably just skipped them and painted the logos on instead. And maybe shrunk them 50% or so.

I was actually planning on repainting it the first thing i did if it didn't live up to my standards. Then it would have been ferrari red, with black lugs, the fork black with red lugs and the seat/chainstays would be black with red dropouts. This will probably happen sometime in the future when the stock paint is worn enough.

Last edited by carlos danger; 06-28-18 at 02:43 PM.