View Single Post
Old 05-13-19, 10:27 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
How do those 45 riddlers roll on pavement compared to the Hutchinson Overide 38's?
It's actually not too bad but the Overide is faster. I run the Override at 45/55, the Riddlers at 35/40. In the 300 or so miles I put on them so far about 150 has been on some type of pavement. More than the actual rolling resistance difference is the handling, immediately after switching I can feel the Riddler is a little more sloppy on the road as expected, after a mile or so that difference goes away as I adjust. Another is the "bounce" of the Riddler. Specially out of the saddle, again expected. On the flip side, even in smooth gravel, the Riddler was better overall in comfort, traction, and perceived effort. In my back to back mixed centuries I did to compare.. The Overide average speed was 14.5 and the Riddler was 15.2. You could take those results out of context and come to the wrong conclusion. I had a terrible direct head wind on the last 25 or so miles of the road portion on the trip with the Overide. I wouldn't suggest the Riddler as a road tire but it can do large gaps of road between gravel with no problem and it more than makes up for it off road, even smooth gravel. For me the decision comes down to a lot of my gravel rides include some type of rough and random patches of washout with mud and peanut butter and the slickness of the Overide is weak there. Sure I can hang on to go straight through those and I have but I want a larger volume and some tread. I don't mind looking ahead and picking my lines but hour upon hour of that compensating for what is effectively a slick gets old. With the Riddler I have some flexibility and can pay less attention

Last edited by u235; 05-13-19 at 12:10 PM.